Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Early May Update

With the warmer, and relatively drier, weather last week, the course started to dry out and firm up allowing us to mow much more of than in previous weeks and we are beginning to look like a golf course again.   Some wetter areas of the course are being mowed for only the first time this season and some have yet to be touched.  After yesterday's storm, I doubt they will be mowed this week.

It feels like we are behind from a maintenance standpoint, and this is likely due to the mild, although wet, start to the year.  But the reality is that we are right on schedule, and maybe even a little ahead.  All greens have been aerified, the Lake Course two weeks ago and the Hill Course last week. With the warmer spring, the soil temps are almost 20*F warmer than last season resulting in quick healing of the greens.  The Lake Course greens are almost fully healed and the Hill will be roughly one week behind them.

As we head into the first of May, all sets of tee markers are being set out, bunker rakes are placed at each bunker and maintenance begins to be a little more routine as the weather gets better and our staff size increases.  Golf season is here!

The next week, weather depending, will see fertilizer applications, weeds treated, and leveling of #4 and #17 Lake tees, which will begin as soon as we dry out a little bit.

Wednesday, April 5, 2017

To Cart, Or Not To Cart

THAT is the question!

And, for the near future, the answer is a resounding, no.  The rain from the last 48 hours has pushed us back over the saturation point making navigation difficult throughout the course.   Next week looks great for golfing, but the forecast for the next 2 days is not encouraging.  Flood warnings and impending snow fall (6"-11" possible) will make carts out of the question for the weekend and maybe the first part of next week if the snow does not melt quickly.

Making the decision on carts is one of the least favorite parts of my job.  I have to balance between making the customer happy and protecting the course from the inevitable damage, and there is a lot of grey area in deciding.   How wet is it?  What is the forecast?  How much play are we expecting? Will we likely lose a day of strong revenue?  Will it be superficial surface mud brought up, or will there be ruts and large scale damage near greens and tees?  Will my staff have time to repair damage or tow out a stuck cart?  These, and more, are all questions to be asked, and I have to calculate all these answers into one simple "yes" or "no". Golf is a service industry and we want to keep our customers happy, but allowing carts on a soggy 50* day in early April could have a negative effect on your more enjoyable 70* round in May.  

So, the next time you get an answer you're not happy with, please understand that the simple "yes" or "no" is really not that simple.  

Wednesday, March 22, 2017

And the Crystal Ball Says............

As we head into late March, the Crystal Ball is a little cloudy as to when we will be able to open for the season.  Last year, although temporary, spring came early and allowed us to mow greens on March 17th.
With the heavy snowfall last week, 2017 won't be a repeat.  Today we still have good snow cover, but the long range forecast looks a little more promising with temperatures in the low 50's most days and some rain to speed up snow melt and thaw what little frost we have in the ground.  If all goes well and the forecast holds, we will likely be mowing by the end of the first week of April.  BUT, we are dealing with the very unpredictable WNY weather which keeps the Crystal Ball obsolete.

Regardless of when we are able to open, we are excited to get the season rolling and look forward to seeing everyone when weather permits.

If you haven't renewed your membership for the 2017 season, please contact Troy in the proshop.  He'll be more than happy to assist you in any way possible.